Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chatuchak Market

Saturday afternoon Nick and I took the BTS to the terminal BTS station, Mo Chit, to explore the weekend market Chatuchak. It was ENORMOUS! There were hundreds upon hundreds of stands throughout the building, selling everything from food to antiques to art to clothing. 

This map is a loose model of how everything is supposed to be laid out: 

For a more thorough blog about Chatuchak: http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-market/popular-markets.htm

Some awesome things we did/ saw/ bought:
1. A chocolate dipped, almond covered banana. It was amazing. 

2. Sliced green mangos covered in this granulate chili/ sugar powder stuff. For $.66. 
3. Beautiful artwork and lighting fixtures. If I had any room in my carry-on I would have bought so much stuff (and I did end up buying a wall clock that was made from wood taken from old Thai school buildings)
4. Pet shops that have bunnies (which you can pet!) and puppies (which you can't)
5. (At the moment) "Shutdown Bangkok" T-shirts for sale. I bought one, not necessarily for political reasons (though ousting corruption from the government seems as good a reason as any to have major protests), but because the protests were such a big part of our weekend.
6. Fake Fruit stands. There were multiple of these, which I do not for the life of me understand. ONE Fake fruit stand makes sense, but THREE? Why?! How much fake fruit variety do you need?


7. This lady. Take a close look at the picture (which I had to grab super subtle-y).

On the lady's right shoulder there is a squirrel. It's attached to her necklace by a thin metal chain and it was scurrying from her right shoulder to her left shoulder, curiously looking up at the people walking by from time to time. I almost didn't see it (Nick missed it completely) but when I realized that this lady had a PET SQUIRREL it blew my mind.

There were a lot of other really cool things at the market, but we were only there for a couple of hours (it was hot and I hate crowds :)) 


No comments:

Post a Comment