Friday, August 15, 2014

Muay Thai week : Day 5

With my hand wraps 

It's Friday, and the rain had been non stop since late last night. About halfway through my morning training session, between the 3rd and 4th round of pad work with my Thai trainer Oun (spelling?), I felt my body just shut down in the middle of trying a new punching combo. The life just got sucked from me.

'Training until failure' has only happened a couple times in my life- in high school, my basketball coach liked to have us run 'sweet sixteen suicides drills' (a LOT of mini sprints) until at least one of the girls threw up, and then in October of 2012, during the certificate course to be a Body Pump (cardio weightlifting), one of the 12 hour sessions is oriented to work you out to your maximum. 

Today in the Muay Thai session it was different though- partly because I was alone in my exhaustion / weakness, and partly because I still have so much I want to do. I'm only here for a week, and missing out on a whole afternoon is a big percentage of that time !

Alas, my body quit. The trainers could tell that I was done, but it didn't stop them from cajoling me as I packed my bag to go, with still an hour to go in the class. 'Kaly!' (how they say my name) 'Why you go?' 
'Im tired!' I shouted back. 
Some of the trainers give me an understanding 'ahhhh' sound but a lot of them yell back 'why you not train?', etc

Instead, I showered, went for a long breakfast with my Kindle, and spent the rest of my day lounging in my budget room, eating delicious chocolate that I've been avoiding all week, and going on a 2 hour long walk. (Technically the walk was only supposed to be 45 min, but I've discovered that Phuket Google Maps, like Laos Google Maps, is horribly inaccurate in their distance/ time calculations.)

Beach / pier that my walk took me to

Random cows in the fields every couple of miles

Dinner was healthy, but offset by some crazy deliciousness (split with a friend)
Deep fried bananas with ice cream

Since tomorrow is my last day here I'm aiming for both sessions. Want to get my kicks as strong as possible before I leave this camp :) 

New tan offsets the bruising but not the newly scuffed knees

Also, something to note: I don't want to sound uper hypochondriac or OCD but gyms seem like a really unhealthy place to be... Not only was staph going around, but I'm pretty sure pink eye is starting to spread. I'm particularly worried because this one trainer, if you get too tired, will come over and give you a mini- massage, which includes a quick shoulder rub, then pressing your eyelids shut, and then folding in your ears to block out the noise. Already I don't like being touched by people I don't know well (esp on the ears) but the entire time I was pressing my eyes closed a small part of me started panicking, 'oh my god, oh my god, this is how you get pink eye!' (Hygiene practices in Thailand are not what they are in the states!) And sure enough the next day the trainer's eyes were pink and puffy... And the. Today while picking up the energy drink mix at the pharmacy, the guy in front of me - who I've seen at the gym- was picking up some medicine for his eyes. 

Gross gross gross

No comments:

Post a Comment