Sunday, June 9, 2013

Scootering (or, as Nick calls it, "Please don't die")

On Saturday Nick and I decided to rent scooters so we could explore Vientiane and test out if we wanted to buy our own, once we're all settled into the apartments. (At Lao prices, it was 80,000 kip, or $10, for 24 hours)

It was my first time on a scooter, and I feel like I took to jet-skiing: very very awkwardly. I really enjoyed it, but I have crap for balance and grace, and I'm sure I terrified more than one driver on the road. Nick felt it necessary to keep reminding me to check my review mirrors, and to use my brake "like a normal person".

Also when I was "practicing" along the side street where we rented the scooters, I almost hit a park car. I was incredibly embarrassed, but the kids nearby thought it was hilarious.


We went South of Vientiane, mostly by randomly veering along the main roads, but the area right outside the city is gorgeous. Lots of beautiful green nature, many stunning mansions that have been renovated to be used as car chop-shops or warehouses.  I wish I had pictures but I was too distracted by my awesome-ly evolving scooter skills.

Vientiane's city identity is a chaotic patchwork and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment